Gantt charts are a popular project management tool used to schedule, organize, and track tasks over time. They are named after Henry Gantt, an American mechanical engineer and management consultant who first introduced the tool in the early 1900s.
With Notion's new Timeline view, it's easy to set up a Gantt chart to track tasks, projects, or any other date-based databases.
What are Gantt Charts?
Gantt charts are a type of bar chart that displays a project timeline along with the start and end dates of each task. The chart is divided into horizontal bars that represent each task and show the duration of the task as well as its start and end dates. The chart also includes vertical bars that indicate milestones or significant events in the project.
Why should you use Gantt Charts?
Gantt charts are commonly used in project management to:
- Plan and schedule tasks
- Allocate resources
- Monitor progress
- Identify dependencies
- Track deadlines
They are particularly useful for complex projects with numerous tasks and stakeholders, as they provide a visual representation of the project timeline and help to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
How to make Gantt Charts in Notion [Tutorial]
Notion allows you to create Gantt charts using the Timeline database view. Here's how to create a Gantt chart in Notion:
1. Create a new database in Notion or open an existing one
2. Add a new property called "Timeframe" and select "Date" as the property type
Then add any other properties that are relevant to your database.
3. Switch to the Timeline view by selecting "Timeline" from the view options at the top of the page
4. Add items onto the timeline and adjust their start and end dates as needed
5. Show/hide the properties that are best relevant to your case
You can either show them on the timeline or on the table to the left.
6. Use the zoom controls at the top of the page to adjust the time range displayed on the timeline
7. Add dependencies (if required)
You can now switch between multiple dependencies mode:
- Shift only when dates overlap
- Shift & maintain time between items
- Do not automatically shift
Don’t worry if you choose the wrong one, you can still shift it later by going to Options → Dependencies.
8. Play with groups, sorting & filtering to customize your Gantt even more
Setting up a Gantt Chart in Notion is very easy. Thanks to all the features of the Timeline database view, you can customize your database to your needs and even create multiple views for different people or use cases.
Gantt charts are an excellent tool for managing projects, and Notion makes them easy to create and customize. By following the steps outlined in this tutorial, you can create a Gantt chart that is tailored to your project's needs and provides a clear visual representation of your timeline. Whether you're managing a large-scale project or just trying to keep track of your personal to-do list, a Gantt chart can help you stay organized and on track. Give it a try in Notion and see how it works for you!
Start now & create your Notion account 🙃